Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Pineapple Incident

I love pineapple! 
This includes but is not limited to the eating of pineapple and pineapple flavored things, the smell of pineapple, the purchasing of pineapple (especially if I have a coupon), and the list goes on. I was recently introduced to this fabulous yogurt by my friend Pam and it is amazing. It can be served as a fruit dip, added to a dessert recipe (layered cake, yogurt, and fruit), or eaten alone. 
I even have pineapple mango wallflowers plugged in throughout our apartment. 
Last week, I was able to buy fresh pineapple at Publix for $1.25 due to an incredible coupon I had. Yummy!
A few months ago, I was able to buy a lot of canned pineapple for cheap due to a sale and a coupon. 
 Up until this point, I have done nothing with the canned pineapple other than have it sit on a shelf in my pantry. Then, I remembered a great recipe I had when I was younger called baked pineapple. With a simple phone call to my mom, I had the recipe and the baked pineapple was in the oven (yes, the toaster oven because it creates less heat and let's face it, it's already so stinkin' hot outside!)
 And after 20 minutes in the oven, it comes out like this -
It might not look appetizing but it's delicious. It tastes like a bread pudding of sorts with added pineapple. And before you ask, here is the recipe:

 Baked Pineapple
In a bowl combine the following ingredients - 
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
12 oz. crushed pineapple, drained
(My can was 15 oz. and it was chunks instead of crushed, and it worked great!)
Pour the mixture in a casserole dish.
Cut 5 slices of bread into cubes and place on top of mixture. 
Melt a stick of butter and pour on top of the bread. 
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until bread is toasty on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment