Friday, January 6, 2012

Recipe: Breakfast Casserole

Every since childhood, my family has always had the same breakfast casserole on Christmas morning. It wasn't until I was an adult, that I realized everyone's breakfast casserole recipe was entirely different than what I grew up with. This recipe originated with my aunt and has hard-boiled eggs rather than scrambled eggs in it (most recipes are the later and definitely not what I'm used to). I feel the rest of the world needs this recipe, so here it is:

Boil 8-10 eggs. Then slice the eggs or you can use one of these handy-dandy contraptions to do it for you. Soon after we got married, I bought this egg slicer and it has never failed me.

After you've sliced the eggs, place them in a buttered casserole dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper.






Brown one pound of hot sausage (the bulk type). Drain the sausage and place the crumbled on top of the eggs.
Take 1 1/2 cups of sour cream and spread on top of the sausage.
Then mix 1/2 cup of dry bread crumbs with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle over the casserole.
Place in a 350 degree oven to heat thoroughly. You'll know it's down when the cheese is melted on top.
It typically serves 8.
In addition, it's amazing made the night before and heated the morning of - that's what my mom always did! And if you happen to have leftovers, you just pop the dish back in the oven and heat thoroughly for the next morning. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment